Along the lines of my previous Top Ten list for Mother’s Day:
I love being a mother. Each of my children is such a blessing, and I really do – for the most part – enjoy serving them. Yes, there are moments every day that try my patience and make me wonder how old I’ll be when I get to count on not getting woken up or interrupted in the middle of every. single. thing I am doing (yes, even peeing). But Mother’s Day makes me reflect on both the joys of motherhood and also the service of it.
Along those lines, here are the things on my mind:
- I would like to sleep until I wake up. I know this will naturally be between 5:30 and 6:30 a.m. anyway, but I would like to go to bed tonight, not have anyone wake me up in the middle of the night, and not hear any noise until I naturally wake up.
- I don’t want to have to think about feeding myself or anyone else. I just want meals to magically appear at the right times.
- I also don’t want to answer any questions about food, especially not about eating candy or junk so I don’t have to say “No” and feel like a food Nazi on Mother’s Day.
- Honestly, while on the subject of questions, I would really love to have every question from every child begin with the word “Daddy” tomorrow.
- I would love some homemade gifts from my kids. Honestly.
- It would be great to have a chunk of time when I get to do whatever I want. I think I would use it to load the car with about half of the kids’ toys and drop them off at charity.
- I don’t want to clean up any messes, deal with pee or poop (not even from the dog) or wipe any tushies.
- I don’t want to use any appliances such as the dishwasher, washing machine, or dryer.
- I would love a good back scratching.
- Most importantly, I would love some family snuggles, definitely at night, or after I wake up ON MY OWN from that solid night’s sleep.
What would YOU like?